Monumental 18th Century St Clement's Faience Lion, France, dated 1764 (see image) 26" x 19" x 10 1/2" Majestic Lion holding Burgonet Helmet, Coat of Arms lies on ground at his feet. Some crazing due to age and wear, stabilized crack on base (see image) Otherwise in excellent condition for 18th Century Faience. La Faïencerie de Lunéville - Saint-Clément is the heir of the prestigious earthenware of Lorraine since the 18th century: the Lunéville and the Saint-Clément . The manufacture of Lunéville was founded around 1730 , while that of Saint-Clément was found around 1758 , making the oldest earthenware still in operation. The origin of the manufacture can be traced back to 1711, year or (Jean) -Jacques Chambrette father, Master faïencier coming from Dijon, created for the Count of Fontenoy a first faience factory in Lorraine Champigneulles. However, in order to avoid heavy taxes on exports to France (from the Duchy of Lorraine), Jacques Chambrette created a second factory in Saint-Clément around 1756 (official authorization of 3 January 1758) On the lands of the Three Bishoprics. On the death of Jacques Chambrette, his son Gabriel and his son-in-law, Charles Loyal, took over the two manufactories of Luneville and Saint-Clement. However, this alliance was short-lived, and as early as 1763 Charles Loyal redeemed Saint Clement's with Richard Mique and Paul-Louis Cyfflé , while Gabriel Chambrette retained that of Lunéville. Richard Mique then developed a "Louis XVI" style by supplying 2000 pots to the Queen to decorate the Petit Trianon in 1785, before being guillotined in 1794 with his son. He also produced neo-classical statuettes. Paul-Louis Cyfflé sold him some of his molds as a result of his discomfiture around 1780. In 1806, Madame Mique received an honorable mention for her pottery earthenware from the exhibition of industrial products. Beginning in 1816, pottery turned gradually into the patrimony of the Thomas family, which perpetuated the tradition of artistic pottery throughout the 19th century. It will thus reap a gold medal at the Exhibition of products of French industry in 1844. She then took part in the 1855 Exposition Universelle in Paris and then at the Exposition Universelle in Paris in 1878 , where the Manufacture exhibited all her know - how. Success however is no longer the rendezvous, which will require to put the manufacture for sale. It was bought in 1892 by the pottery factory Keller & Guérin, its former parent company.